Sixteen civilians executed in Islamic State-held towns in Anbar
Anbar : Islamic State has executed sixteen civilians in western Anbar towns, an informed security source said.
Speaking to Alghad Press on Sunday, the source said, “IS militants executed 16 youths in the evening in each of Annah, Qaim and Rawa towns over spying for security troops.”
Earlier on the day, the militant group reportedly tightened measures on citizens in Qaim, al-Ebeidi town and Okashat region. Curfew has been imposed since the morning. Tens of leaders, who likely ran away from Aiyadhiya and Tal Afar, arrived on Saturday in Qaim.
Last week, the Defense Ministry’s War Media Cell said the air force bombarded six IS locations in Qaim, killing 94 members, including a senior security commander and a close aide to the group’s supreme leader abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Anbar’s western towns of Anah, Qaim and Rawa are still held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic Caliphate. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them.
Fighter jets from the Iraqi army and the international coalition regularly pound IS locations in the province.
In late July, a military source was quoted saying that Lt.Gen Abdul-Amir Yarallah, commander of the Nineveh Operations, ordered to besiege IS havens in western Anbar preparing to invade them.
Source : Iraqi News